Thursday, November 17, 2011

Burlap Wreath

I was looking around for cute ideas for making wreaths this Christmas because let's be honest, wreaths can be pretty pricey.  So... while I was looking on the internet and at the craft stores, I decided I wanted to make a wreath using fabric.  My initial thought was to use linen because it has some texture but when I was walking around the Craft Store, I found some really cool burlap that I thought would work.


Although, this stuff stinks for awhile, the smell does eventually go away.  I also purchased some wire to be the frame for the wreath.  BUT, this wire didn't work at all, it was totally too flimsy and wouldn't hold the burlap.


Here is what it looked like when I was using the wire.  I just threaded the wire through the burlap, flipping back and forth with the material.  You can already see there is no shape.


Since this wire didn't work, I had scratch that and we decided to use a hanger.  The hanger had several perks. 1)  It was much stronger than the Floral Wire. 2)  It was free because we are the proud owners of a thousand hangers. 3)  We didn't have to leave the house.

If at first you don't succeed, try try again.


Cute, right?  I used the handy glue gun to tack some areas into place.  (For the crochet clutch, yes, I own a glue gun!)

So, I added a bright bow and it was done.  I think it turned out pretty nice.


P.S. - Michael's has some really cute stuff right now for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment